Friday, April 18, 2008

photo 49

I love books. Not only do I love books...I LOVE to own them. It's really hard for me to get rid of books, and I rarely do. I don't like to check them out from the library either...

Currently, I have a couple of hundred books in my library. I do like to check them out to friends.

A year or so ago, a friend of mine questioned my obsession with obtaining books. She couldn't understand why I wouldn't go to the library. At the time, I explained that my procrastination problem led to fines higher than the actual cost of the book itself.

After our conversation, I continued to evaluate my need to own books. (It really is a bit of an obsession). This is what I came up with:

I have always enjoyed owning books (enjoyed owning books as opposed to needed to own books). At the age of 20, I was a single mom. To say that we were on a very limited income would be an understatement. At one point I had to sell all of my books and comic books in order to pay the rent.

I'm sure that in some subconscious way, books are a sign of security to me. How's that for deep?

2 comments:

Renee Camacho said...

I understand your obsession completely...mine is the same way...can't get rid of them. I've never understood the people who sell their books back. My mother used to...I never could part with any!

Amber said...

I totally agree! I love having books. There is just something satisfying about a shelf full of books available for reading at any time.

I found your blog by the way! Love it! =)